Obtain or renew a pet license?
Why should I license my pet?
Pet licensing is part of our municipal rabies control program. Pet licensing ensures that pets have up to date rabies immunizations, which protects your family and pets against rabies. Licensing encourages pet population control, through the low cost spay and neuter program and license discounts for spayed or neutered pets. Licensing also has the added benefit of providing an easy way of identifying lost pets so they can be quickly returned to their proper owners.
When do I have to license my cat or dog?
Pets are required to get a license when they are old enough to get a rabies vaccination. This is generally when they are three months of age or older.
How often must licenses be renewed?
Licenses must be renewed every year before the end of January.
What information must be included with my application?
- Proof of you pet’s current rabies immunization from your veterinarian. State Health Department policy requires the duration of your pet’s rabies immunization to be concurrent with the license year (i.e. must not expire before the end of the license year)
- Proof of spaying or neutering. To qualify for a $3.00 per year license discount enclose proof from your veterinarian that your pet has been spayed or neutered.
What are the fees?
- First cat or dog license or renewals made before January 31: $11.20
- Late renewals after January 31 or licensing after a notice of violation or summons for non license: $16.20
- Discount: Subtract $3.00 from either fee for spayed or neutered pets and proof is provided.
- Applications may be submitted to us in person or through the mail to the following address:
Saddle River Board of Health
Attn: Pet Licensing
100 E Allendale Road
Saddle River, New Jersey 07458