ThunderstormsThunderstorms can happen at any time. Severe thunderstorms can bring heavy rains, hail, high winds, lightning, and local flooding. When severe thunderstorms threaten the Saddle River area, listen to local television, radio and weather stations. These sources will provide up to the minute information.
What You Should Do:
- Get inside a home, large building or car (not a convertible).
- Do NOT use the telephone or cell-phone, except to call for help. Do NOT use sinks, bathtubs, and water faucets - metal pipes conduct electricity.
- A car offers some protection from lightning, but can be a dangerous place to be during a flash flood or a tornado.
- If you are outside and there is no time to reach a safe building or car, follow these rules:
- Do NOT stand under a tall tree in an open area, on a hilltop, in an open field, or on a beach.
- Get away from water.
- Get away from metal equipment such as lawn mowers and tractors.
- Get away from motorcycles, bicycles, golf carts and scooters. Do NOT hold onto metal objects, such as golf clubs.
- Severe Thunderstorm Watch:
Conditions are right for a severe thunderstorm.
- Severe Thunderstorm Warning:
A severe storm has been observed or has been detected by radar. Take cover immediately.