FAQs » Firearm FAQs
Firearm applications are available at headquarters for any resident wishing to purchase a firearm.
Your initial purchase will require you to obtain a Firearms Identification Card and have a complete and thorough background check conducted by the New Jersey State Police and FBI. You will also be required to be fingerprinted for this application.
If you are only purchasing a rifle or shotgun, then a Firearms ID Card is all that is required. Should you wish to buy a handgun, then you must additionally apply for a Permit to Purchase a Handgun. You must get a permit for each handgun that you purchase.
All Firearm Applicants
The New Jersey State Police and Federal Bureau of Investigation have instituted a user fee system for the processing of all fingerprint card and forms associated with the following:
- Firearms ID Card - $5.00 Payable to SRPD
- Pistol Purchase Permit (each) - $2.00 Payable to SRPD
- Criminal History Check w / SBI # - $18.00 Money Order to NJSP-SBI
- Criminal History Check (Fingerprints) - $30.00 Money Order to NJSP-SBI
If your application required a Federal and State check of a fingerprint records check, then a $60.25 money order is required, payable to the:
Division of State Police - SBI Box 7068 West Trenton, NJ 08625-0068
Required with Application
- Photograph of Applicant
- Copy of New Jersey Driver's License
- Copy of New Jersey Firearms Identification Card (If previously issued)
- Completed Application
Contact Lt. Tim Haruthunian at (201) 327-5300 to make an appointment in order to review your application so that it is processed in a timely manner.